Monday, February 21, 2011

Bumpy Landings





YA

by Donald J Carey









What a delightful read!

LDS returned missionary Jordan MacDonald has a secret. A secret he refuses to share with his mother, who has life figured out for him. It is one that he has promised his father he'd fulfill no matter the cost.


But when it becomes apparent that he can hide it no longer, life unravels and he is thrust into the cold of resentment.

Should he be true to his mother, or his girlfriend, or himself? This is a story about a young man's struggles to find the answers to his personal riddle of integrity.

 I fell in love with the storyline and understand, with all of my heart, Jordan's struggles. Life as a young person is never easy, especially when everyone is shouting out how you should live it.

I especially love when Jordan starts to realize that his life is his own, and becomes true to the most important person: himself. For, how can he be true to anyone else if not for him?

This story certainly wrenched me from my mundane tasks, and whisked me into the lush green of Hawaii's vista.

Don J Carey is masterful at bringing people, places and things to life. There wasn't a place where it felt unreal. The dialogue was natural, the characters sincere, the dilemmas unfurled with genuine believability! He has a knack with folding time without my noticing.

Hey, Carey, do you have the recipes for pani popo or malasadas on your website? I would sure love to know how to make them!

UPDATE! click here for recipes! (Thanks, Don!)



Donald is a graduate of Kahuku High School where, when he wasn't in the band room, he could be found in the library with his nose in a book.  He was awarded the David O. McKay scholarship to attend BYU--Hawaii, where he met his lovely wife, Kara. His day job involves writing computer programs, which is almost the same as fiction but with a lot more semicolons.


Watch Bumpy Landings' book trailer!







I recommend this book!



Rated G: I have no doubt my 11 year old would love this, too!




Posted by Mittens

No comments:

Post a Comment